
CHOW TIME
Meet music producer and radio host Jason Chow, who's loyal to clubs only if they make him some money
MUSIC producer and former WKRZ 91.3 music director Jason Chow denies being the boyfriend of Singapore Idol finalist Maia Lee.
"No, it's not me,'' says Jason cheerfully when I point out that it has been suggested. But I can see he is slightly piqued. Not so much with the question but because I'm straying away from his beloved topic of football, which he is extremely passionate about.
He then mutters something about his hordes of girlfriends killing him if it were true, but clams up when I persuade him to elaborate.
Indeed, Jason is mad about football.
When I meet him in a pub at Changi Village, he is meticulously studying the lineups of teams on his laptop. Above him is a TV screen showing highlights of football matches, to which he would occasionally raise his gaze to provide commentary.
He knows about what goes on in teams with names that I'd have difficulty pronouncing.
"There isn't one single team that I support exclusively,'' says Jason.
"Maybe it's a guy thing.''
A guy thing to be unable to stay faithful to one side?
"I like to follow lesser-known teams because you can talk about something else other than what everyone already knows, you know things about players that are not so famous, and in a way that gives you an edge,'' explains Jason.
"Besides, if you follow just one team, you tend to be involved in that very commercialised practice of supporting a big team like Manchester United or Arsenal or Chelsea,'' he adds.
"After a while it becomes a bit bland, when everybody is supporting a famous team.''
Oh, and did I mention he enjoys placing a bet or two on football games? His lack of bias towards any particular team helps him make very sound decisions, he says.
"There are so many things to consider: The lineups of the teams, who're playing in which positions, how either team have fared in the latest games, how the teams have done against each other … more than just gut field, there is a science to it.''
Jason studied in Chinese High where "they played funny sports''.
"There was gymnastics and basketball, but no football,'' says Jason.
His interest in football blossomed when he went to Anglo Chinese Junior College.
"When I went to ACJC, it seemed like all the boys, at least the normal ones, were interested in football, and I soon caught the fever,'' he says.
So which teams does he like?
"Leicester City, Leeds United, Ipswich Town...'' he begins, before realising that his first three choices are not in the Premiership.
"If you're talking about the Premiership, then I like Middlesbrough. They have a very good team, a star-studded team, in fact,'' says Jason.
"But they're all a bit old, so they may not excel in the fast-paced English Premiership,'' he concedes.
"I like Newcastle also, and I think that Michael Owen going there would help their cause tremendously. They will now be very strong in attack and that should prove exciting to watch this season. But they'll take a while to gel.''
"Also, I tend to like going for the underdog.''
Are there teams in the Premiership he doesn't like?
"Everton,'' he says. ""I don't like them and I won't watch because they really are a team that just defend all the way and hope for the break.
"And Chelsea. I think it is a money-laundering outfit. Roman Abramovich has bought many players who are not exactly great. He's paid millions for the likes of Scott Parker and Shaun Wright-Phillips who were outstanding only because they were not in very strong teams, and then losing good guys like Mikael Forsell, Carlton Cole, what's with him, man?'' he asks.
He also has something to say about the current England coach, Sven-Goran Eriksson.
"David Gold, the Birmingham chairman, said England's coach should be English, and he's right. As for Eriksson, the guy is there to make his money. It's very obvious,'' says Jason.
"No doubt when he started, he tried to do his job. But it's not the same if you were English. An Englishman leading his national team out in a game would feel pain, would feel more involved if he didn't get a positive result,'' he adds.
"It's like if you went to coach say, a team in Ipoh, you wouldn't feel quite so enthusiastic about it than if you were manager of the Singapore team,'' he declares with a surge of patriotic fervour.
"And as for the current England side, look at that overrated David Beckham … he's only good for one thing: He crosses the ball to Sol Campbell. If you want to stop England, very simple, just mark Sol Campbell.''
Jason, who left the station as music director at the end of last year, continues to be a DJ at the station because of his love for music.
As a producer with Music Street, he's just finished producing a Mandarin single which has a title sounding like "Mice Eat Rice'' for Project Superstar finalist Kelly Poon.
"I do production for dance compilations also, and I'm part of this band called The Usual Suspects, whose music is dance with vocals.
"It is not exactly cutting edge, in fact, it is not even the "in' thing anymore,'' says Jason, who insists on doing what he feels is good.
"After all, if everybody does the same thing, then it will be like football where everyone's going to support Manchester United or Chelsea,'' he says.
"People have accused me of being a cheesy sellout, but it is the music I like doing,'' he explains.
Someone who has engaged him as a DJ for a public event commented on his astonishing ability to draw in the heartlanders.
"It's not so much because of who I am but what I am,'' he says modestly. ""It is the kind of style and the type of music I represent. I think my taste is quite mass, and there's nothing wrong with that. I feel I can enjoy it and there's nothing wrong with people enjoying what I enjoy,'' he says.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home